Apply for NMBI registration, nursing in Ireland
What is NMBI?
The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) maintains the Register of Nurses and Midwives in Ireland.
Nurses and midwives who would like practice in Ireland must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
It is illegal to practice as a nurse or a midwife if you are not on the Register.
Trained outside Ireland
Before you start the application process, you first need to identify your Application Group.
To help you identify which Application Group applies to you, check the reference below.
- Group 1 - trained as a general nurse or midwife
in the European Union (EU) or European
Economic Area (EEA)
- Group 2 - trained as a general nurse or
midwife in the EU or EEA (general system) / trained in the EU or EEA in a division
other than general nursing or midwifery
- Group 3 - trained outside the EU or EEA (foreign nurse)
Documents needed for Apply for NMBI registration
If you trained outside the EU or the EEA you are a Group 3 applicant. To be eligible to apply for registration to the Register, you must:
- Hold a current registration, or license without restriction, with the competent authority in the country in which you qualified or have been practicing
- If you completed your nurse/midwifery Registration education program more than five years prior to the date of application, you must have practiced for at least 12 months during that five year period.
- Meet NMBI English language competence requirements (See below)
- Have completed extra courses leading to registration as a first level nurse, if you hold the following qualifications:
State enrolled nurse
State certified nurse
Licensed practical nurse
Nurse’s aide, and
An associate degree (United States)
English Language Tests to Apply for NMBI registration
NMBI accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic Test, IELTS Academic Test for UKVI, and the Occupational English Language Test (OET) as evidence of English language competency.
- Do not apply for registration until you meet the minimum scores under the IELTS Academic Test/OET
- Ensure that the test result is current. only accept IELTS/OET test results that are less than two years old. If your test results are out of date, you will need to re-sit the IELTS/OET
- You must provide IELTS Academic Test Report Form (TRF) number OR OET Candidate Number as part of Step 1 of the application process, detailed in the next section
- NMBI will independently verify your scores
- NMBI only accept one test result and do not accept combined results
- Remember that if you make an application, and don’t meet the English language competence requirements, the assessment fee is non-refundable
5 Steps registration process of NMBI
To apply for a NMBI registration you must follow the bellow mentioned steps for register as a Nurse or Midwife.
Step 1 - Overseas Registration Application Request Form
The first step in the application process is to logon to our website www.NMBI.ie and then download and complete the Overseas Application Request Form. You will find this form in the Registration/Trained
outside Ireland section.
This form requires you to provide:
• Personal contact details
• Division(s) of the Register
• Your TRF number/OET Candidate Number, for Group 3 applicants only (see next page)
• Details of your debit/credit card so that the Overseas Registration Application fee can be paid.
Details of current NMBI fees are available on the form and also on fees page of the NMBI website.
Step 2 - Overseas Registration Application Pack
Once NMBI processes your Overseas Registration Application Request Form and the assessment fee, they will issue you with an Overseas Registration Application Pack. You need to read and follow all the instructions within this pack carefully to avoid unnecessary delays in processing your application.
This form requires you to provide:
- Personal details
- Identity documents (such as Passport)
- Contact details
- Professional Education Primary Qualification
- Registration details
- Compulsory questions (You need to answer a number of questions about your practice as a nurse or a midwife in any country, state or jurisdiction where you have practised.)
- Details of professional practice
- Explanations regarding professional practice
Note: All above documents shoud be Certified and Translated in English.
Step 3 - Forms to be completed by relevant authorities
The next step involves ensuring that relevant authorities complete their forms and return them directly to the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI). Once you have set up an online account with NMBI following receipt of your Overseas Registration Application Pack you will be able to track your application and see which forms have been received by NMBI.
Step 4 - Assessment of your application
When NMBI receives all of the information we require for your application, we will assess your file.
You will be able to see the status of your application and what documents are outstanding through Track My Application when logged into the NMBI website. Details of how this operates are included in your Overseas Registration Application Pack.
Please be aware that we will not receive all parts of the completed Overseas Registration Application Pack at the same time. This is because some parts will come from you while others will be sent by the relevant authorities. If we require any additional information from you we will advise you by email or in writing.
Step 5 - Outcome of assessment
The decision letter issued by NMBI will detail one of four possible outcomes of the assessment process:
- Eligible for registration
- Further information required
- Required to successfully complete a period of adaptation and assessment/Aptitude Test
before we can register you
- Refused registration